Book Review: "Dark Celebrations" by Calvin Demmer



"Being asleep meant an escape from feeling; being awake only brought truth and reality."

I've felt a little bad recently, so I spent more time than usual reading a book like this. What I mean with this is that this is a light reading, regarding pace and structure.

Once again, I had the chance to read Calvin Demmer's chilling stories and I'm happy to say that there's no way I can not love this book. I don't believe in the supernatural but man, I do enjoy reading about it. This book, in particular, has the exact amount of suspense that you don't need to be a supernatural enthusiast to enjoy it. Everything captivates you since the beginning, and the art by Beth Rocksteady is a win! I would've loved to see more.

Even though we are talking about different stories, the world-building is complete, you don't need a lot of character backgrounds to understand them or to understand the context they're in, which is fantastic due to normal stories' shortness. ENJOY the plot twists.


I honestly started to expect a big connection to everything in Unidentified Fatherly Object and with the biggest revelation. I knew Fred would die but after everything was clarified. At the same time, I liked all the stories on their own.



My personal favorites were:
  • Labor Day Hunt
  • Happy Dark Year
  • Dying Valentine
  • She Will Rise


And, I'm not sure about this, but it seemed like there was a reference to The Call of Cthulhu. I say I'm not sure because I haven't read the book but that was what I pictured when I read the last one.

I hope you enjoy it as I did!

I could read this book thanks to the author.

CALVIN DEMMER is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.


0 comentarios:

Post a Comment