Book Review: "A Dash of Flash" by Millie Thom




I attended a short story course at school that changed my literary views some years ago. Firstly, because I discovered that you can tell an entire story in no more than one page and with a wide range of resources ㅡplot twists, cliffhangers, parodies, uff! Secondly, that you can receive a huge impact from those tiny stories, and finally, that these aren't so easy to write precisely for the first two statements (or maybe they're but not for me *insert stressed emoji here*).

Even though Thom's book can be read quickly, I couldn't do it because of work and school, but I think such thing helped in the end because I could read a bit here and there and from time to time. Furthermore, the plots are so varied that it's not necessary to read it that fast or read it in the provided order, so I'm sure you can find a story that pleases you, or maybe you like them all! The magic about this kind of fiction is that you actually don't know what to expect: you can receive a sudden spark of inspiration because you want to write your own version or maybe you get an avalanche of shivers because of that impressive plot twist.

This is a very light reading and I recommend it to people that enjoy short fiction, but mostly to those that have never tried it before. My rating might not be the highest, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, I just think some of the stories weren't read in the right moment for me, but this situation can be completely different for someone else!

I could read this book thanks to the author and Booktasters ;)



MILLIE THOM is a former geography and history teacher with a degree in geology and a particular passion for the Anglo-Saxon and Viking period. Originally from Lancashire, she is a mother of six grown-up children and now lives with her husband in a small village in Nottinghamshire, midway between the town of Newark and the lovely old city of Lincoln. When not writing, Millie enjoys long walks and is a serious fossil hunter. She is also an avid traveler, swimmer, and baker of cakes!

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment